Sunday, March 29, 2009

Newish TV show Castle

In the vein of watching some of the newer shows that I haven't seen I sat down and watched 2 episode of Castle while I was stuck at a Rutgers game club event. The event was ok, but from a vendor's standpoint absolutely useless. While we didn't have to pay for a table because the organizer of the event know us and wanted to help us out, we only sold about $50 worth of product, but we bought around $1000 just for the event. What was interesting was that we did a raffle for things that had been sitting in the store for ages and stuff that we got for free from our distributor and I sold $150 worth of raffle tickets. Go figure.....

But on to Castle. And if anyone cares I will probably spoil things without really meaning to....

We get to see Nathan Fillion in another starring role. Now lets see the track record of the shows he has starred in and see why I feel Castle is already cursed. Ok, so not every show that he is on fails, I just learned that he was on Desperate Housewives and Lost for an episode, but in his starring roles like Drive and Firefly, with Firefly being amazing and having a huge cult following, and Drive was starting to ramp itself up to be a decent show, especially in the wake of the Prison Break mid-season hiatus. But both were canceled way too early. And that is what I feel may happen with Castle.

I like the premise, a murder mystery author who just killed off his main character of his books is questioned in regards to a murder that follows the same portrayals in his novels. From there he helps the police track down the killer by pointing out disrepencies between the actual crimes and the crimes in his novels when an obsessed fan is suspected of committing the crimes.

While I was watching the first episode I kept thinking that if this is the premise of the entire series then the series is doomed. How often can you have a murder staged based on these series of books? Or even on other Murder mystery books that he might be aware of? But the show did not disappoint me there, they set-up how the show will continue by having the author follow the detective around so he can based his next main character around her.

Now the second episode was still pretty good. A woman was found murdered in a dryer. The opening scene was pretty badass. I'm not going to go through a whole lot of the episode, except that I think the end of the episode should have been different, and that they never explain how the girl gets into the dryer properly. The person who ends up murdering her shouldn't have been able to stuff her in a dryer by herself. Between dead weight and just the awkwardness of trying to fit something so much bigger than the opening of a dryer....

But anyway. I had thought the hype for the show delivered for me. I had seen some commercials and was interested to check it out and I was entertained. I can see where the show may disappoint, but the interactions between the 2 main characters is great. The detective is a fan of the author's work, but doesn't want him tailing her because he never listens and finds himself it bad situations.

Now I am off to watch Bound for Glory and play some Warhammer Age of Reckoning. Did I ever mention that I started the trial for that? Well I did and I bought some time cards online that I am waiting to show up and then I will try out the full version of the game. I am playing a Dwarf Slayer since they can level up and get DOOMSEEKER! I picked up the Collector's Edition for $25 bucks and got the Warhammer model I wanted to paint up along with the hardcover art book (which is amazing) and the Graphic Novel.

No comments: