Sunday, May 31, 2009

MARKCON II

So I was invited to a super exclusive gaming convention taking place in a super secret location. There was a large variety of board games, card games, and a little RPG talk.

When I got there I was invited to play a gamer called Acquire, where players build hotel chains and obtain stock and see who has the most money at the end of the game. It was fun and slightly strategic.

After that I was asked to play Carcassonne Hunter & Gatherers. This was my first foray into Carcassonne as a board game (I played it on XBOX Live Arcade at Rich's house) and I did terrible. But I had fun and got to talk to some new gamers.

I followed up the Carcassonne with a VS game followed by a 10 person, 1 lap game of Formula De which was such a clusterfuck in the end. I started out at the back of the pack and ended up taking 5th place overall. We originally were going to run a 2 lap game and if we had we would have had 3 of the top 5 in the game crash on the first turn of the second lap. That is a great game and i look forward to playing it again (though with less players)

Betrayal at House on the Hill was next. I love that game. We ended up getting the Cannibal Feast scenario and I was the traitor. I got to cook up some human vittles after the feisty little girl tried to take me out.

All in all it was a fun experience and I met some really great people and gamers. We have a Magic draft and more random games scheduled to play. I'm looking forward to it. The con is great because it is invite only and I can actually play games. And there are some writers from Goodman Games attending so I have been talking about the D&D 3.5 vs 4.0 qualities. They both think 4.0 sucks, and we have plans to make shirts based off a comment that I made....

And it looks like Loudtwitter is working again so expect more randomness from me if that is the case.

No comments: