Sunday, February 22, 2009

Wicked Faire

So I just got back to Dreamation from Wicked Faire. I got there at 11:30 with a group of friends which is why I got there so damn late. Now I had heard that there were some issues with the hotel giving Jeff and all of Wicked a hard time about the parties and such. Last year at Wicked Faire there were issues when the hotel management changed and was trying to deny the Faire access to the hotel because of what it may do to the hotel's image or some such shit.

So I had a few friends that hit Wicked on Friday and I polled them to find out what was going on. I was looking forward to seeing some of my friends and enjoying the after parties. When I got there Voltaire was on stage and I ran into a great number of people that I knew from other Wicked events and some others that I had already seen this weekend here at Dreamation.

I was looking for a specific friend of mine who said she was in Voltaire and while I couldn't find her we went around and checked out the dealers that were open. I saw the weapons dealer that I know from a bunch of cons, the same one I had seen earlier in the day at Dreamation. My friend Michele tried on this cool pair of chainmail pseudo wings which she loved, but they were $250. Aside from that there was a T-Shirt place that was doing custom shirts on site which I thought was cool, but they had run out of my size before I got there. They had a pre-printed template that said "I'm not evil....I'm Diabolical" which they would have allowed me to to change to Diabolikal. They had some live music acts going on in some vendor rooms, along with some Bondage demonstrations. It was fairly well laid out as the hotel offered a huge ballroom that they could use for vendors and shows, along with some DJ mixing and dancing.

I got a little private dance of Michele and Mary dancing with each other in front of me while others stared jealously. It was fun. We ended up at a few different room parties which friends of mine were hosting and some drinks were had and some interesting conversations had. Unfortunately because of the hotel crackdown, there were cops trolling the halls on a regular basis and it forced everything to be very low key. I understand the hotel not wanting to be responsible if something happens, but at an event like Wicked Faire there should be a little wiggle room.

Either way I had an okay time. I think the potential of the con was much better, especially since it had a better layout for different events, and I must say that I know I wasn't able to get the whole experience with my limited hours available, but I found that the police presence made people uncomfortable and there was a lot less debauchery going on.

I know that having a convention in a warehouse or convention center is more of a pain in the ass when you are trying to facilitate an enviroment in which you want people to enjoy themselves and be able to move to a room to continue the party elsewhere. I wish there was a way to get a good compromise because I love the people I see at the con and would hate to have the only reason for me to show up at a con would be to shoot some footage or take some pictures and then see some friends and leave.

Well, that is what I have. I will post some pictures from Dreamation and Wicked Faire in the next day or so.

Now off to study for a quiz due in 15 hours.

DIABOLIK

No comments: